Jeva Vitamin C Serum Review

Hello fellows! 

I am Akansha and this is going to be my first honest product review. I am starting with one of my favourite product which saved me after I had a terrible break out on my face. I actually got a really bad reaction from serum of a very popular brand (won't disclose it right now, saving it to roast in another blog). That breakout was so bad even medicines were not working so I eventually decided to 'up' my skincare game. I was looking for a nice vitamin C serum to reduce my acne and spots and which would not burn a hole in my pocket and my researches led me to buy this product. Jeva is an Indian skincare brand that is cruelty-free and 100% vegan. It's Vitamin C Serum was launched a long time back and was already very much appreciated by beauty bloggers in India. It is a unisexual product. After using it for about 1 month, my acne was under control. However, it did not do much for my dark spots. So, let's get started with the details.

Jeva's Vitamin C Serum

PRODUCT PACKAGING:
I bought the serum from Nykaa and why I trust Nykaa is a story for another time. The MRP on the box is 500 INR but I got it at a discounted price of 350 INR (another Nykaa advantage). It comes in nice and sturdy packaging. The box is black in colour and the details are written in bright golden letters. The box contains a bottle and a dropper. The dropper can also be used as a lid for the bottle and this feature really makes the product usage really convenient. The bottle contains 15 ml of product in it. I initially thought that 15 ml is very less and it might end up in a month but this tiny bottle lasted for more than 2 months even with using the serum twice a day regularly. So, do not worry about the quantity. The thing you should worry about is that I read at many places that Vitamin C has oxidizing capacity and it turns brown when exposed to light and that is why you must store the product away from direct light. I say, do not throw away the box and store the bottle in it. It will also protect the glass bottle from damage. However, the bottle also has a silicone lid which was quite tough to remove. It may sound funny but that tiny little silicone lid gave me a tough time. When it finally came off, I just threw it away in the depths of hell!

The box and the bottle of serum

Size of the bottle with reference to my hand

INGREDIENTS:
According to the ingredient list, this serum contains Ascorbic acid,  Hyaluronic Acid, Aqua DM Water, Propyl P, Peg400, Micro Care Pm5 and Vitamin C Acetate.

1. Ascorbic Acid is another name for vitamin C and this serum has 20% of it. Most serums have 5% or 10% vitamin C so 20% here is really good. vitamin C helps in repairing damaged skin as it contains antioxidants. 

2. Hyaluronic acid is known to provide hydration to the face and is very beneficial for dry skinned beauties. 

3. Aqua DM Water is demineralized water that has been purified and most of its minerals and salts have been removed. It supplements hydration in the skin.

4. Propyl P is also called Propylparaben. It is non-toxic to the skin. However, it can be mildly irritating and cause itching on the face. 

5. Peg400 is polyethylene glycol and is commonly used in cosmetics. Its characteristics are 'less toxicity' and 'less skin irritation'.

6. Micro Care Pm5 is an antibacterial preservative that contains a combination of 'PARABENS'.

7. Vitamin C Acetate helps prevent UV damage to the skin and pigmentation. But still, I say always use a sunscreen when going outside the home irrespective of the weather. The serum won't protect your skin from sun damage.

There is also a warning on the box which goes like this - "Natural products can be allergic to some people. Patch test recommended. Discontinue if irritation occurs. Avoid contact with eyes."

So, I don't know if a product which contains parabens can be termed as 'natural products' .  .  .  .  .  . I am quite suspicious of it๐Ÿ˜. Patch tests are helpful, so do it for sure. Well, I never had the patience for patch testing and waiting for hours if there is any allergic reaction. If you have the patience then do it by all means. Discontinue if irritation occurs - well, definitely do that. Avoid contact with eyes, the area just underneath the eyes and the eyelids, the skin there is thin and sensitive. Also, my skin is super super super sensitive and if the serum did not cause allergy on my skin, I don't think it will do that to anyone else's skin. I only experienced itchiness sometimes. BUT, everyone's skin is different so, I cannot predict 100% correctly.


PRODUCT CLAIMS:
"Introducing a revolutionary Face serum that rejuvenates your skin! Wake up to beautiful skin, every day - Jeva's Vitamin C and Hyaluronic Acid Glow Serum transforms dull skin into radiant looking skin, making it brighter & smoother as also evens out the skin. This revolutionary Skin Whitening Glow Serum is formulated with key ingredients which boost the collagen levels in your skin making it glow from within, also increasing its elasticity. It is 100% vegan & cruelty free face product manufactured in strict accordance with international standards & is suitable for dry skin, oily skin & even sensitive skin. Also suitable for acne prone skin, this can be used as a Day Serum, Night Serum and before makeup application. Jeva's Vitamin C Serum with Hyaluronic Acid uses the free radical battler along with anti-inflammatory champ hyaluronic acid repairs the damage done by sun and pollution. This magic Vitamin C Serum with Hyaluronic Acid absorbs fast and is skincare's best step after toning. You'll quickly see more hydrated, brighter skin with more even skin tone."


On the other side of the packaging it is written that it is an "anti aging and brightening serum which rapidly delivers skin clarifying antioxidants, helps reverse & prevent visible age damage, diminishes appearance of wrinkles & boost brightness".


Well, that is a hell lot of claims. It is not that amazing as it claims to be. Oh these marketing strategies! They can make everything look super amazing. The product is good but all of this just sounds exhilirating. I will debunk all of the claims in the next heading.

REALITY:
Does the serum actually works? Is it better than those expensive bottles of serums? Will it miraculously make my skin flawless?  

Well, the answer is YES and NO. The serum definitely works. You will not see results after 1 or 2 days or even after 1 week. It took 20 days to show visible difference on my skin. But, I felt my skin was plump and hydrated on the 3rd or 4th day of application. My acne was curing and new breakouts were not happening. The dullness of the skin was improved (my skin wasn't that dull anyway). My skin definitely felt smooth and soft. All of it happened because I was regular with my skincare routine. See, taking care of skin daily is most essential. So don't skip irrespective of how tired you are.  

My skin is towards the oily side of the spectrum and the serum made the condition worse. I had to use a translucent powder to combat the oiliness. This is one of the reasons why I use this product only in my night skincare routine. Also, it tends to make skin appear darker when used. I guess this is because the product gets oxidized. This darkening is not permanent it just washes off. I cannot really say about fine lines or wrinkles because I don't have any (I'm 19). However, it did not do much for my acne marks. I didn't see any noticable difference even after 2 months. I have only a little discolouration on my face and it did not become better. So, a big NO for evening out skin tone. And now the most anticipated effect - Skin Whitening - (a little smirk) IT DOESN'T. I obviously understand the Indian mindset of wanting a fairer skin but that is just not possible naturally. You can opt for a full face makeup everyday if you want to be fair. You can go for cosmetic surgeries, chemical treatments, hypnotize everyone to think that you are very fair and white OR just accept and love yourself.  I guess it is the cheapest way, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

HOW TO USE:
"Shake well before use. Apply 3-4 drops on face and neck for radiant glow". Dear Jeva, these instructions are not enough. I have a better way for using this serum which I will be sharing with you all. 

First, cleanse your face and neck with your favourite cleanser or face wash and pat it dry with a clean towel. Don't rub the towel on the face - please don't! 

Second, use a toner to tighten the pores of your face. Let the toner do its work for 1-2 minutes. 

Now, take the serum bottle and shake it slightly. The serum has a little oily consistency, almost like water. It has a slight yellow tinge to it and a soapy-fruity fragrance (I like the fragrance). Fill the dropper with the serum and gently drop 1-2 drops on the face. I say, don't put drops all over your face. Go section-wise because the serum is very runny. What I do is: 

1. Put 3 tiny drops of serum on the forehead and then massage it lightly.
2. Then put 2 drops on one cheek followed by a light massage. Repeat the same with the other cheek.
3. Put 1 drop on the chin and massage it lightly.
4. Put 2 drops on the neck and massage. 

Also make sure that the tip of the dropper does not touch your face because then it may pick up bacteria from your face and when you put the dropper back into the bottle, it may contaminate the whole serum. Massage with very light hands and don't rub your face or neck. Let the serum get absorbed fully and then only proceed to the next step. The next step could be an another serum or a moisturizer or a facial oil. That is up to your choice. I do not put on anything after serum as it is enough moisturizing for my skin.


Dropper with a little amount of serum

PROS:
1. Brightens the face
2. Effective for acne
3. Good hydration
4. Suits all skin types (good for dry skin)
5. Cruelty-free
6. 100% vegan
7. Affordable
8. Made in India

CONS:
1. Have Parabens
2. Might cause skin irritation
3. Serum oxidizes after some time of application, skin looks tanned
4. Does not cure spots and pigmentation
5. Does not even out the skin tone
6. Does not whiten skin tone
7. Tends to get sticky (not very convenient for oily skin)


God bless the reader with a healthy and glowing skin!

Comments

  1. Thankyou soo much for the knowledge you gave to us ...as i am regular of using many products ... !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb... great job.. I'll help a lots of people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is quite descriptive and explores almost all the aspects of the product . The facts and stats are very well composed which is extremely helpful for the reader inorder to make a wise purchase .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job...ot too much info about the product ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job.. nd Thnku for this Knowledge❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow such a very good work..thanx for the knowledge ✌๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't use any serum on my face but i think this will help me out for nourishing my dry skin...u r doing a great job bro thank u nd excited to read ur next review ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts